Sunday 29 April 2012

Traditional is not always boring.


I attended a worship service, which was traditional yet entrancing. By traditional I mean that the liturgy was from the worship book, not the newest but the previous (green) one. It was a full Holy Communion Service. Three texts were read, a psalm chanted, prayers prayed, hymns sung, and a sermon preached. Was it long? I don’t know. I couldn’t check the time because I didn’t want to miss a moment.

Why was it so enchanting? First of all the worship team - a presider, a preacher, readers, an organist and acolytes - worked seamlessly. The liturgy flowed easily, congregation sang joyfully, and the presider somehow made every word sound alive and meaningful.

He read every word from the book – yet it didn’t sound like reading. It sounded like every word was a treasure that had to be given out with care. He believed in what he said. He lived out what he was reading. I did not hear a preacher’s tone in his voice – just joy and admiration. Liturgical gestures came naturally and elegantly.

In the middle of the service just before Communion, the pastor again welcomed people. He did that at the beginning, too. He also told where the washrooms could be found and asked if we had any concerns or questions. It sounded perfectly normal to do so as if it was a part of the liturgy.

I’m convinced that it does not matter which order we use for a liturgy; whether recently renewed or from the time of Irenaeus. It all depends on how you as a leader bring it to life and make it whole.

Where did I go? Georgian Bay Spring Conference meeting. What surprised me was that less than half of the pastors were present and only one had sent regrets. Conference meetings are part of a pastor’s job. Some pastors may say they don’t like business meetings. Why don’t they come for a worship service? I learnt a lot! If you weren’t there you missed a lot! And I missed you!

Riitta

No comments:

Post a Comment