Friday 27 April 2012

He Asked

My son Aaron asked me today: “So how was your day, Aiti (mom)?”
I  said: “It was good. I was in the office all day.”
He asked: “What’s your plan of the game, so to say, when you’re in the office?”

The first thing I check when I enter to my office is if there is a red light on my phone telling me that someone has left a message. Before I touch the phone I set up my laptop.
I take my notebook and listen to voice messages, check emails and write a list of people I have to call to and things that I have to do. After making a list it’s usually time to worship. We have morning devotion (Holy Communion on Wednesdays) in our little chapel. After or before devotion I have a brief catch up –chat with our administrative staff.

Then it’s time to grab the to-do -list again and start chasing people who have left messages or who I need to talk to.  
“Who are they?” Aaron asked.
They are for example pastors, council chairs or call committee chairs.
“Why do they call you?”
They call if they have problems or they need to know about rules (constitutional issues) or salaries for example.
“What! Are you a counselor! What if you sometimes say ‘suck it up’? Have you ever said that?”
No I haven’t but I’ll keep it in mind!

I also write letters, tons of emails, have meetings with the staff and meet other people in my office. If I have time I update our website, plan forthcoming meetings and programs.
“And if you don’t?”
I do it when I’m home or on the road.

Before I leave the office I re-write my list for the next day. Sometimes it’s longer than it was when I started in the morning.

“When can I come to your office, mom? I like your buddies.”

No comments:

Post a Comment